Courtesy of Texassports.com
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Casey Morris had 21 points to lead five Texas Tech players scoring in double figures in an 81-58 victory against Texas in the first round of the Big 12 tournament on Wednesday night.
Chynna Brown and Monique Smalls had 12 points each and Jordan Barncastle and Kierra Mallard 11 apiece for the ninth-seeded Red Raiders (19-12), who play top seed Baylor in a quarterfinal game on Thursday.
Ashleigh Fontenette scored 21 points and Ashley Gayle and Yvonne Anderson 10 each for the eighth-seeded Longhorns (18-13), who shot just 17.9 percent (7 of 39) in the first half en route to trailing 35-21 at the break.
Morris had three baskets, including two 3-pointers, in the first 2:30 of the second half to push the Texas Tech lead to 22 points. Texas got no closer than 12 points the rest of the way.
Mallard and Gayle had 15 rebounds each.
- Texas is now 18-15 all-time in the Big 12 Championship including an 8-3 mark in first round games.
- Texas is now 0-2 as an eight seed in the conference tournament.
- The Longhorns are now 3-2 against the Lady Raiders in Big 12 Tournament action.
- Scored 10 points and pulled down a season-high 15 rebounds to record her first double-double of the season and 11th of her career.
- Reached double-figure rebounding for the sixth time this season and the 22nd time in her career
- Matched a season-high in free throws (four)
- Led Texas in scoring (21 points) for the sixth time this season, her second 20-point game of the season and 14th of her career.
- Reached double-figure scoring for the 20th time this season and the 66th time in her career
- Reached double figure scoring (10) for the 20th time this season and the 46th time in her career
- Sank a career-high three free throws
- Matched her season high in steals (two)