FORT WORTH, Texas -- Jonathan Holmes had 20 points and a career-high 16 rebounds, and No. 15 Texas rallied in the second half to beat TCU 59-54 on Tuesday night and extend its winning streak to seven games.
Holmes hit a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 2:41 remaining, and the Longhorns (18-4, 7-2 Big 12) held off the Horned Frogs with several key offensive rebounds in the final 2 minutes.
Cameron Ridley had 12 points and nine rebounds, including one that led to his clinching free throws after a miss by Isaiah Taylor with 7 seconds left, as the Longhorns held on following their win at home against No. 8 Kansas over the weekend.
Amric Fields had 16 points and eight rebounds to lead TCU (9-12, 0-9), the only Big 12 team without a conference win.
The Longhorns came into Fort Worth with four straight wins over ranked opponents, just as the Jayhawks did late last month when they beat the Horned Frogs handily.
But Texas was without guard Javan Felix because of a concussion, and Taylor struggled after scoring 23 points in the win that snapped the Jayhawks' conference-opening seven-game winning streak.
Taylor finished with 11 points on 3-of-10 shooting and had seven assists.
After Holmes put Texas ahead 55-52, Kendal Yancy missed a 3-pointer for the Longhorns but Ridley grabbed the rebound and got fouled. Ridley made both free throws for a five-point lead.
Texas outrebounded TCU 56-25.
Brandon Parrish had two driving layups with a chance for three-point plays late in the second half but missed both missed free throws. The second miss came with the Horned Frogs down 50-49 with 3:46 remaining.
Parrish finished with 10 points.
TCU lost after taking a halftime lead for the third time in the past five games. The Horned Frogs scored the last six points before halftime and went ahead on a layup with 10 seconds left by Kyan Anderson, who had 12 points and seven assists.
Fields scored the Horned Frogs' first seven points of the second half to give their beleaguered offense a lift, and Holmes scored seven straight for Texas as the lead changed hands three times early in the second half.
The Longhorns didn't look like they had a Kansas hangover in the first few minutes, taking a 7-0 lead after Martez Walker, Felix's replacement in the starting lineup, opened the game with a 3-pointer from the left wing.
But Texas got caught up in a ragged first half most notable for traveling calls, bad passes and 3-second violations. The Longhorns had more turnovers (10) than baskets (8) in the first half, and the teams combined to shoot 29 percent before halftime.
• Texas improved to 103-62 in the all-time series against TCU. The Longhorns have won eight straight and 12 of the last 13 meetings. Texas head coach Rick Barnes holds a perfect 5-0 mark against TCU.
• Texas' 22-20 halftime deficit was its first since a 33-32 halftime deficit against Texas Tech (Jan. 11). The Longhorns are 5-3 this season when trailing at half.
• UT is off to its best 22-game start (18-4) to a season since 2010-11 (started 19-3). It marks the seventh time in the Rick Barnes era (last 16 years) that the Horns have opened the year with at least 18 wins in their first 22 contests (19-3 in 2005-06, 2009-10, 2010-11; 18-4 in 2002-03, 2003-04, 2007-08).
• Through 22 games last year, the Longhorns had posted a 10-12 overall record, including a 2-7 mark in Big 12 Conference play. This season, the Horns are off to a 18-4 start, including a 7-2 mark in league play.
• UT held TCU to 32.7% FG shooting for the game (17-of-52). Texas has held 14 of its first 22 opponents to under 40% FG shooting (14-0 record in those games).
• UT posted a 56-25 advantage on the glass. Texas has outrebounded 17 of its first 22 opponents and is 15-2 in those games. Texas' +31 rebounding margin was its fourth-highest single-game mark in school history (since 1961-62).
+39, vs Samford (54-15, Nov. 16, 2005)
+33 vs. UT-Pan American (64-31, Dec. 15, 2009)
+33 at Oral Roberts (70-37, Dec. 1, 1992)
+31 at TCU (56-25, Feb. 4, 2014)
• Recorded his fourth double-double this season and fifth of his career with a game-high 20 points and career-high 16 rebounds. Holmes had 17 points and 10 boards in the second half.
• Became the first Longhorn to register 20 points and 15 rebounds in a Big 12 Conference road game since Damion James at Missouri (Jan. 12, 2008).
• Reached the 20-point mark for the fourth time this season and in his career (84 games) … first time in Holmes' career that he has had back-to-back 20-point performances (22 vs. Kansas – Feb. 1, 2014).
• Reached double figures in scoring for the 17th time this year and 35th time in his career.
• Over the last three games, Holmes is averaging 18.7 ppg (16-of-33 FG, 3-of-7 threes, 21-of-30 FT) in 31.3 mpg.
• Matched his season high in rebounds (8)
• Pulled down seven rebounds, his most in a conference game this season.
• Recorded his 12th double-figure scoring game (12 points) this season and 14th in his career (55 games).
• Dished out a game-high seven assists, his most in Big 12 play and one shy of his career best.
• Reached double figures in scoring (11 points) for the 18th time this season.
• Over the last three games, Taylor has converted 20-of-22 FT (.909).
• Over the last three games, Taylor is averaging 20.3 ppg (20-of-42 FG, 20-of-22 FT) in 35.7 mpg.